Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Visit with a Gastroenterologist

I had my first visit with the gastroenterologist on Monday. She agreed that Celiac Disease was within the realm of possibilities. She's ordered up an endoscopy and (shudder) colonoscopy, both to be done on the same day.  In order for the tests to be truly accurate, she wants me to go back on wheat again for 3 weeks. I'm kind of kicking myself for jumping the gun on going gluten-free, but I was really eager to see what the effect might be.

I honestly don't know what to make of my week-and-a-half off gluten. On one hand, I observed a significant improvement in my fatigue starting on the 4th day, and lasting about 5 days. Five "relatively good" days is very, very unusual for me. But then that improvement seemed to reverse itself, and by the 10th day, I seemed to be back where I started.

A couple of days after that, I had to start eating wheat again. I noticed quite a lot of tummy grumbling and increased bathroom visits when I did this, but it wasn't the huge drama that most celiacs report when they ingest wheat.

So I'm not really sure what to make of all this. I'm trying to be patient, and just wait for the test results, but that's always hard to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment